Kololo Game Reserve is situated in the beautiful province of Limpopo, South Africa, in the heart of the Waterberg biosphere. Vast, peaceful and incredibly beautiful, this is a fascinating destination with a rich cultural legacy and a natural splendour.
A malaria-free area and home to a large variety of game, Kololo is a perfect safari destination. Visit neighbouring reserves and view the Big 5 - lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo, or enjoy a sneak preview over the fence, from the comfort of your chalet at Kololo.
With twelve upmarket chalets positioned in the pristine bushveld, privacy and relaxation is guaranteed. Kololo is conveniently situated only 3 hours from Johannesburg International Airport.
At a Glance
- Malaria - Free Area
- Twelve upmarket chalets
- Chalet Weaver/Drongo/Kingfisher
- Sleeps two
- Open-plan sleeping/living area with an en-suite bathroom
- Fully equipped, open-plan kitchen
- Garden barbeque area
- King's and Queen'svilla
- Spot roaming elephant, lion, rhino, buffalo and other wildlife
- Large living areas with television
- Open plan fully equipped kitchens
- King's Chalet has a private swimming pool
- Boma with barbeque facilities
- Comprised of three double en-suite bedrooms
- Smaller in size
- Queen's Chalet has one double en-suite bedroom and a sleeper couch in the living area
- Oom Piet's Chalet
- Restored farm house
- Sleeping four, it has two spacious bedrooms, comprising of one double and one twin room
- Own fully equipped kitchen and living room
- Kundu and Fish Eagle close proximity to the swimming pool and restaurant
- Only two luxury thatched lodges
- Each sleeps two and has an open-plan sleeping/living area with an en-suite bathroom and fully equipped kitchen
- 3 hours from Johannesburg International Airport
Make an Enquiry or Booking
The Kololo Chalets
Situated on beautiful lawns and surrounded by acacia trees are the three Garden Chalets. Each Garden Chalet sleeps two and has an open-plan sleeping/living area with an en-suite bathroom. A fully equipped, open-plan kitchen on the verandah and the garden barbeque area are ideal for those wanting to experience an authentic outdoor African meal in bushveld surroundings.
King's and Queen's Chalets
Set against the Kololo mountains, the King's and Queen's Chalets are the most luxurious of our lodges. Enjoy splendid, uninterrupted views over the African plains of Welgevonden Game Reserve and spot roaming elephant, lion, rhino, buffalo and other wildlife.
Beautifully furnished, both King's and Queen's Chalets have large living areas with television, open plan fully equipped kitchens, terraces. King's Chalet has a private swimming pool, boma with barbeque facilities and is comprised of three double en-suite bedrooms.
Smaller in size, Queen's Chalet has one double en-suite bedroom and a sleeper couch in the living area.
Oom Piet's Chalet
Oom Piet's Chalet is the original restored farm house, built in 1916 by Oom Piet, the first owner of Kololo Game Reserve. Sleeping four, it has two spacious bedrooms, comprising of one double and one twin room. Relax with a book or game spot from the large veranda, overlooking rolling green lawns, which lead down to the river and swimming pool. Resident antelope can be found peacefully grazing in front of the veranda, seemingly oblivious to guests seated there. Tastefully decorated, Oom Piet's Chalet has its own fully equipped kitchen and living room.
Kudu and Fish Eagle
Situated within close proximity to the swimming pool and restaurant, and overlooking the Kololo river and mountains, the River Chalets are two luxury thatched lodges. Positioned to create a secluded ambience, these private chalets are ideal for honeymoon couples. Each River Chalet sleeps two and has an open-plan sleeping/living area with an en-suite bathroom and fully equipped kitchen.
Kololo can accommodate conference groups of up to 43 people (cinema style), 34 people (round table seating), 24 people (U shape & schoolroom) and 20 people (boardroom style). Our conference venue offers spectacular views.
Kololo is the ideal venue for an authentic African Safari wedding. Our restaurant is available for wedding receptions and can accommodate up to 90 guests seated in the restaurant and on the look-out decks. Full catering and bar service available.
- An airport transfer service to and from Johannesburg International Airport / Kololo Game Reserve is available to guests (approximately 3 hours).
- Kololo Game Reserve offers a charter flight service. Guests are collected atJohannesburg International Airport and proceed to Wonderboom airfield in Pretoria (approximately 40 minutes), where they are flown in either a 6 seater Seneca, 8 seater Chieftain or a 14 seater Caravan. This is a 45 minute flight over the picturesque Waterberg mountain range to Kololo Game Reserve.
- Curio and provision store on site
- A babysitting service and cots are available on request
- A laundry service is available on request
- ADSL / internet access is available on request
- Kololo is disabled friend
Make an Enquiry or Booking
Walking and biking trails
Classified as a safe game reserve means that no dangerous animals reside on the reserve and guests are free to explore the many walking trails (from 2 - 30 km), either on foot or by mountain bike, at no extra cost. Spend hours identifying the flora and fauna in the reserve, surrounded only by the sounds and sights of nature.
A game ranger is available to accompany guests, at no extra cost, on guided walks and game drives. He will assist with identifying bird species and provide interesting and informed knowledge about the game, the plants and the trees while out on safari.
Wile away the afternoon, sitting quietly in the bush with a pair of binoculars in what can best be described as a birders paradise. Enjoy a picnic lunch packed by our restaurant and listen to the sounds of nature that surround you.
Swim or fish in the river, which originates in the Sterkfontein springs and runs for miles through the Waterberg mountains.Its clear clean waters are safe to drink and great for a refreshing dip, courtesy of Mother Nature. For fishing enthusiasts, please bring along your equipment.
Relax with a book or bask in the sun at the newly designed, heated swimming pool, adjacent to the restaurant.
Special interest groups
Kololo Game Reserve facilitates various opportunities for special interest groups, such as game tracking courses, bush survival and navigation skills, wildlife photography, team building and bird watching courses. In the process, we educate our guests about Africa and an African way of life.the picturesque Waterberg mountain range to Kololo Game Reserve.
The magnificent diversity of the Waterberg is evident both in the natural environment and in the facilities and attractions. Kololo Game Reserve spreads over 3000 hectares of untouched African bush which consists of open savannah grass plains, thick bushveld, mountains and valleys, making it the ideal habitat for a wide variety of game. View impala, kudu, rooi hartebeest, blue wildebeest, zebra, eland, nyala, waterbuck, giraffe, blesbuck and bushbuck as well as smaller species such as duikers, mountain reedbuck, klipspringer, steenbok, bushpig and warthog. Bird watchers will enjoy over 300 species of birdlife which are indigenous to the area.
There is 24 hour electricity to all rooms.